Saturday, November 26, 2011

Advent Calendar

After a nice Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by family and friends and our first Black Friday shopping experience (more on that later), I have finally had time to slow down and get some things done.  Last night we began putting up our Christmas decorations.  Currently, our house looks like a tornado hit it because we still haven't finished putting everything up, and boxes are everywhere.  

However, I did get a chance to complete my Advent Calendar project.  I wasn't willing to spend tons of money on a calendar I wasn't totally crazy about.  So I began brainstorming.  I looked through Pinterest.  And finally I just went to Hobby Lobby hoping something would jump out at me.  And this is the end result (with the various pictures of items used):



First, I found the small brown envelopes.  I decided random decoration would be best.  So I chose four different scrapbook papers, stickers, some some poinsettias that had brads (so they were easy to put on), and some ribbon.  Seemed easy enough!  Then I found some tiny clothespins that came 24 to a pack, which was the perfect amount!  I knew this was going to hang under the opening that looks from the window to the living room so I needed something to put all of this on.  I chose the gold rope because it didn't stretch.  I didn't want something that was going to stretch when I hung stuff on it.


When I got home I divided up the envelopes by which ones would get stickers, paper, poinsettias, etc.  Then I started putting them together with whatever struck me as a good idea at that moment.  I laid them out in the order I wanted to hang them in and put tiny numbers on the back so I would know what day they were for and what order they went in.  I did debate putting numbers on the front (as most Advent Calendars have numbers on the front), but I decided against it.


Next, I hung up my rope and tied the ribbon on randomly.  Then I filled it in with the envelopes.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out!  I can't wait for the kids to pull look inside the envelope each day to find out what fun activity we will be doing to spend time as a family and prepare for the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment