Sunday, August 21, 2011

Second Grade... Here We Come!

It seems like only yesterday when Josh and I were cuddled in bed, feeling Hadlie move inside my tummy, tears streaming down our faces, clearly not ready to send our babies to kindergarten.  Now here we are... two years later.

 
Lexie's first day Kindergarten

 Jacob's first day of Kindergarten

Tomorrow Lexie and Jacob will begin second grade.  It's hard to believe that time has flown by so quickly.  It's hard to believe how much they've grown in the past two years.  They look different. They act different.  They have different interests.  They are no longer "little kids".  They are maturing into "big kids".  Again, I am not ready.

I am able to deal with Jacob changing and growing more easily than I am with Lexie.  I think that is due to the fact that since the beginning he has gone back and forth between houses.  Josh and I miss things.  His mother and step-father miss things.  The relationship between us all leaves much to be desired so we have never all been there for anything, and often times new accomplishments and daily happenings are not shared by either party.  One of the many tragedy's of a "broken home" and our inability to look past ourselves.  


However, I have watched him grow and change so much.  Especially this past summer.  He has progressed leaps and bounds.  At the end of the day it is my prayer that this progress will be nurtured by his teacher and continued throughout the year.  Josh and I have committed to helping as needed with the PTA at his school as well as in his classroom.  We have gotten him a phone so that throughout the week we are able to text or call him to see how his day was.  We are really making an effort to try to give him all that Lexie and Hadlie get from us.  We want to be able to be a part of these moments even if it is only in a small way.  Second grade will change him just like the past two years did.  God is working through Jacob in many ways right now, and I could not be more excited to see what this year brings for him!

Sending Lexie to school is a little harder for me.  Every year it is so bittersweet.  I'm filled with pride at the brilliant girl that she has become.  However, I don't think a mother ever gets used to sending her baby off somewhere.  There is always that small twinge of heartache when I realize that I will be missing precious moments of her growing, changing, learning.  Moments I used to witness all of.  Moments I was unprepared to face eight years ago as a young scared mother have now become moments I'm unprepared to give up to someone else.  One of life's many ironies...

I teared up finding out who Lexie's teacher was and again when meeting her.  I have no doubt that tomorrow will be tear filled too.  I will, once again, be handing my Bitty Boo over to someone else for the majority of her waking hours.  A place that Lexie so dearly loves.  A place filled with friends, laughter, and learning.  All things that fill Lexie's spirit.  And I'll wait eagerly to pick her up to find out all of the exciting things that happened... which from Lexie is less about what they learned and more about what happened at recess!

Tomorrow I will be placing my trust in Mrs. Hackett (Lexie's teacher) and Mrs. Auten (Jacob's teacher) and their schools.  I will trust that they will not only teach them everything they need to know, but that they will do so in a way that shows my children love, acceptance, and grace when needed.  I'll trust that they will be encouraged and challenged to be the best people they can be.  And I will hope and pray that they will build friendships that stand the test of time.  That they will be accepted for who they are.  That they are brave enough to stand up for others, and that others will stand up for them.  I pray that they will show all those they meet kindness and respect.  That their heart for Jesus will outweigh their desire to give into peer pressure.  

Part of my heart will be in second grade tomorrow... I just hope the other part can handle that! 

 Lexie at 2nd Grade "Meet the Teacher"

Jacob at 2nd Grade "Meet the Teacher"

No comments:

Post a Comment