Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Father's Day is today.  A day to celebrate the men, the fathers, in my life (and my children's lives) who make such a difference.


My dad.  Byron Gilbert Dunn.  A man with integrity and dignity.  A man with pride, but the ability to put it aside when necessary.  A man with a gracious and loving heart.  A man who forgives.  A man who loves unconditionally.  A man who accepts everyone for who they are.  A man who makes you laugh until you cry.  A man who is always there to dry your tears.  A man, who undoubtedly, has faith in God and is patient with His plans.  A man to admire.  A man to honor.  The only man I'll ever need in my earthly life.


Josh.  My love.  My heart and soul.  My best friend.  For 3 years Father's Day was always bittersweet.  It was a reminder of all the men in my daughter's life who loved her and supported her, but still lingering were thoughts of the man who was supposed to love her and be there for her that wasn't.  And there is no pain quite like knowing your child is not loved in the way she should be by her father.  Then came Josh.  He loved my daughter.  He treated her as his own.  Her became her Daddy.  And with that comes feelings that words cannot express.  Just thinking about what Josh has done for her makes my throat tight and my heart full.  Because of him, my sweet girl, has a Daddy.  Her very own Daddy.  A Daddy that will never leave her.  A Daddy that will always love her.  A Daddy that is teaching her what type of man she should allow to steal her heart one day.  I can without a doubt say that the greatest gift God has given my daughter was bringing Josh into our lives.  I have found immeasurable pleasure in seeing the father Josh has become to our three children over the last 5 1/2 years.  He continues to grow in this journey of parenting, and there are three beautiful children who have reaped the rewards of his selfless efforts.  I could not be more grateful for the front row seat God has given me to witness the relationship between my children and their Daddy.


My Granddaddy.  Those who are lucky enough to know my grandfather know the great man that he is.  A man of God who has been father, grandfather, mentor, and friend to many.  As his favorite granddaughter, I have numerous memories and countless things to say about this great man.  But what I want the world to know, is that my Granddaddy is the type of man that you meet and you are forever changed.  After knowing him, you carry a piece of him in your heart that is with you always.  Two daughters by birth, one who grew in his heart, seven grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren... and I'm still his favorite.  That's enough for me to know he's a darn good man!  :)


The other men in my life and my children's lives.  There are many men who make a difference in the life of my family.  My Pa Bob.  He is my dad's step-father, but we've never seen him as a "step" anything.  He is our grandfather.  He has loved us and our children unconditionally.  Our childhood is filled of memories learning to play blackjack and laughing at our Pa Bob.  He is a blessing.

Our neighbor who is not only a wonderful father to his boys, but a father figure to any who may need it.  He's always ready to help when needed, celebrate our children's accomplishments, or throw a ball to an eager child.  He is a blessing.


My step-son's maternal grandfather.  While I have no direct connection with this man, I am forever grateful for his presence in my son's life.  He has given Jacob a father figure when he is not with us.  He has been involved in his life.  And he has always been so kind to our family.  There are two men that my son speaks about with true admiration, and this man is one of them.  He is a blessing.


Day in and day out we are blessed by wonderful father's.  Both in our home and in our community.  Some of them coach our kids teams, others teach Sunday School, and some a friends who are ready with smiles and high fives whenever we greet them.  Each of them is a blessing in our life.  

I read an article the other day that stated, "A father's love contributes as much -- and sometimes more -- to a child's development as does a mother's love."  Something we so often overlook.  So today, I am so thankful to celebrate all of these wonderful men who have made myself and my children the people we are today.  And my heart is filled with joy to celebrate the Father who gave us all of these blessings here are earth.  Because without a doubt, His love is more than a contribution to our development... it is an absolute necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment